register for updates and specials from shokuiku

Monday, October 11, 2010

thought

I suppose I can call myself a vegan now. I avoid any animal products whatsoever. However my family is different. My partner eats and has a desire to have so called average western diet and my daughter too likes to have seafood and dairy now and then ( proberbly she'd like to have more if I encouraged her) I don't think I have any right to tell other people how and what to eat. Even though I know the negative things about eating any animal products environmentaly, ethically and for the health reasons it is up to them to decide. it can be hard when it comes to my own family, especially my daughter, because It is natural to want the best thing for her and want her to share my view on things. But I am working on it. I had to learn that she is not me and she is old enough to make her own decisions (to some extent....).
Although I think vegan diet can be the most healthful diet you do need more care when it comes to nutrition. B vitamins especially B12 and ration of omega3 and 6.
There are lots of fake cheeses and meats etc now. Even though it is good for some people who are just transitting to this diet (for their comfort reasons) I wouldn't feed that to my own daughter! I would rather she has a bit of rennet-free organic goat cheese (which is less mucus forming thatn cow cheeses) instead of commercially made cheese alternatives.

Are you a vegan and living with someone who eats meat? or vice versa? I would like to hear what you think....

No comments:

Post a Comment