register for updates and specials from shokuiku

Friday, May 27, 2011

colds and flus

Ok, I admit.
As much as I lead a healthy lifestyle I do get sick sometimes.
Though its not often and it is usually not too severe being sick is very annoying.... on the positive side, it is the time for reflection and taking it easy a bit more.

I don't like to take conventional medicine. I try to heal myself with natural foods and herbs.

throughout the day whenever I have a meal I'd chop up a couple of garlic. Garlic's anti-viral properties are well documented. It is unfortunate that is not so social... (especially raw!)

Echinacea is great to strengthen immune system and is also anti-viral.

Olive leaf extract is a great source of cell protecting antioxidant. It is used traditionally to relieve fever.

Lotus root will relieve a sore throat.

some herbs that are diaphoretic
yarrow
elderflowers
chamomile
catnip
peppermint
desert tea
cayenne red pepper
angelica
fresh ginger root

Intake of Vitamin C and bioflavonoid-rich food such as cabbage is very important.
other useful foods are
parsley
carrots
broccoli
turnips
kuzu
parsnips
horseradish




To induce sweating I have a drink with
3tbs grated daikon
1tbs grated ginger
1tsp ume (japanese plum) concentrate
hot water

No comments:

Post a Comment