register for updates and specials from shokuiku

Monday, August 1, 2011

earthling and my decisions



I just finished watching "Earthlings" I don't know where to start.

When I first made a decision to eliminate animal products except seafood from my diet my main reason was an environment one. Then I realised there are health benefits. I was fortunate enough to meet and hear Peter Singer in person and after that I slowly started to eliminate seafoods as well. The environment and health were the main reasons for me to not to have any animal products and desire for my daughter to do the same. (Though I know she is her own person and she is and will be making her own decisions).

Knowing the truth and doing something about it are two totally different thing. Some people don't want to hear it. Some people find out about the facts but don't change their behaviour. For me it was the decision already made. I knew the fact and I had to decide which way to go. there was no middle.
I have struggled with this decisions, not because it was hard for me to switch my way of eating and living. But because of the pressure I felt from my friends, family and society. It constantly challenged my beliefs and philosophy and some occasions I doubted my motives. Is this my way of trying to control myself, family and my environment? Is this because I am not happy or have too much time? I swayed a couple of times to make people other than me happy, or so that they would feel that I listened and was not selfish. Deep down I knew what I was doing was right for me so I always came back to the way I wanted to live.
If you know me personally my life turned in a different angle a month or so ago. It was not easy but I can now say that it was the right thing to do. I feel happier and more confident about who I am and what I believe in. This positive feeling has made me become more tolerant and flexible.
Life is a journey. I will come cross other things that will challenge me in the future. That might change me in a different direction again. I can not make any promises. All I can do is live now and appreciate the things and feelings that I have with me now. If you look back and look forward all the time we do not see what we have right at this moment.

I have read and watched many sources about how the animals are unfortunately treated. "Earthling" is the most powerful one for me so far. I couldn't help myself but fearing for our human souls and feeling some kind of responsibility for these animals. How could anyone do this to other living creatures? That was my first thought and probably for most people's.
"I can't watch", "I would never treat animals in such ways"you may say. Even you are not doing this directly are you and am I still doing this to our other earthlings?
Felling sad is not changing anything. Only thing I could do is to change the way I live. If you can't do it every day. how about just one day. And then two days a week. It does get easier.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts. Very inspiring post. I also wonder at the human race and sometimes feel so incredibly ashamed at what we are capable of...

    ReplyDelete