register for updates and specials from shokuiku

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

oat and blueberry cake with banana and caramel filling (raw) eat this for breakkie!

I knew I was in for a treat today. I made a raw oat and blueberry cake last night and put it in a dehydrator.
when I got up I quickly made banana and caramel filling to layer the cake with and that was my breakfast.

Ok. It sounds quite unhealthy, right?
cake for a breakfast? Me?

Not to worry. this is the healthiest, ultimately satisfying breakfast. why eat oatmeal if I can have this!

the measurement is really rough but below is what I used

cake
2 cups sprouted oat flour
1/2 cup sprouted lentil flour
1/2 cup goji berries
4 dates
1/4 cup activated almond
1/2 cup blueberry (frozen)
filling 
1 1/2 banana
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, soaked
2 tbs lucuma powder
1 1/2 tbs mesquite powder
2 tsp cinnamon
 1 tsp vanilla, scraped

I have been trying to cut down on nuts lately. I don't avoid them entirely I love them and I think they contain valuable nutrients. But In raw diet it is easy to consume a lot.
Instead of relying on nut flour I wanted to make something with more grains/ legumes.


Benefits of oats
-high in dietary fibre
beta-glucans found in oats has proven effective in lowering blood cholesterol.
high in tocotrienols, which are anti oxidant and inhibits cholesterol synthesis.
-controls blood sugar
oat beta-glucan slows the rise in blood glucose levels
-anti cancer
contais many phytochemicals. Lignans found in oats have been linked to decrease risk of hormone- related diseases.
-reduce hypertension
-regulate bowel function
-high in protein and have a good balance of essential fatty acids
-good source of thiamin, folic acid, biotin, pantothenic acid and vitamin E. also contains zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium.

No comments:

Post a Comment